Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Car Insurance that Covers Your Dog, Too

Early each morning, I pack up my dogs, Bobby and Tennessee, and drive a few miles to a scenic country road, where we walk along quiet vistas of open meadows and wooded streams, serenaded by occasional turkey calls and seasonal birdsong.  It's our tranquil time together, and we all look forward to it.

But I found myself wondering what would happen if our peaceful morning ritual were to be shattered by a collision with a car or a school bus.  I hope that never happens, of course, but I was pleased to learn that here in Massachusetts, there are at least two insurance companies that will reimburse medical (or even burial) costs for canine or feline passengers who are injured in vehicular accidents.

Progressive has been offering this coverage at no charge for more than five years.  It will pay up to $1000 toward veterinary costs if your dog or cat sustains injuries during a car accident, fire, or theft.

Arbella Mutual, based in Quincy, MA, offers Massachusetts drivers an optional pet coverage rider that pays up to $500 towards vet bills for a dog or cat who is hurt in a crash.  In contrast to Progressive, Arbella Mutual charges a nominal $20 annual fee for this additional protection.

My current insurer doesn't offer this option, at any price, and I think I owe it to Bobby and Tennessee to switch to a company that does.

No comments: